+ Reply to Thread

Default painting over plastic faux wood panelling

Wondering how to paint over plastic faux wood panelling from the 1960s? It's so 'faux', there are no real cracks between the boards (these are sheets of plastic 'walnut'). Clean it well, use Killz, paint & hope for the best?

Default Re: painting over plastic faux wood panelling

Clean it well, use Killz, paint & hope for the best?
    Yep ... that's pretty much it.
    You might want to use TSP for the cleaning especially if the surface of the panel has a sheen to it ... otherwise you may need to do a light sanding. This will provide a slight rough surface for the primer to grip to.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

they make some amazing spray paint now that paints anything, plastic, pvc, fiberglass, you name it. they also make a primer. rustoleum makes the best primer sandable too in white. hides all the shine and metalic well, you won't have to pre-sand just wash first. i used regular paint over the special primer. krylon and rustoleum make the spray paints for plastic if you want the glossy finish.

Wink Re: painting over plastic faux wood panelling

I am remodeling an old farmhouse where the paneling had been painted over with an ugly, yellowish, cream color. I reprimed and repainted in a light green shade. It doesn't look bad at all. It actually looks as if the walls have an unusual texture about them.

Rather than Kilz, I would prefer the Gripper by Glidden or No.75 primer by Behr. Both have excellent adhesion on this very slick surface.