I just noticed that a small portion of my yard suddenly seems to have hundreds of tiny beige mushroom looking thingys growing.
I've been here for 5 years and this is a first. However there was an old Sycamore tree there when we moved in which we cut down 4 years ago. Last year I used a new lawn patching product in this area to fill in where the tree was so it seems obvious that must have had something to do with it... though last year it was just nice new grass. The area is nice and sunny now that the Sycamore is gone so it's not a place I would expect to see funghi.
Any idea what this is or how to get rid of it?
The mushroom fungi spores could be from any place ... it's common for them to be carried on the wind , from a neighboring yard or like you mentioned maybe in the material you used to patch the lawn.
However ... they feed on rotting organic matter like dead tree roots and stumps ... for example.
By the sounds of it .... the area where the mushrooms are appearing would be the roots of the tree that was removed are rotting under the grass along with the remaining stump.
I have the same thing around an area where a tree was taken down.... they sprout quite nicely in bright sunlight.
Another issue would be from poor drainage .... the soil remaining wet.
This is something that I noticed after the tree was removed .... this area seemed to have poor drainage and water accumulates more in this area. My theory is since the tree is gone the roots don't absorb the moisture like it once did when the tree was there.
So this has become a perfect environment with plenty of moisture decaying the the tree roots under the grass.
Here's a couple of links for some information :
Hope this helps.
Yes, that helps a lot.
I suspect the roots are still undeground rotting away and feeding the shrooms. It's just odd that I didn't see them before now but I guess it took a couple of years to rot enough to feed the fungus.
Guess I'll either have to live with it or dig up my yard to replace the soil.
Thanks a lot for the info!
the mushrooms won't hurt the lawn. Just rake them to break them off. You're right about them feeding on the roots. Replacing the soil won't help unless you get rid of all the dead roots.
Yeah that's what I meant... dig out the roots and fill everything back in with clean new soil.
Originally Posted by ed21
However I just looked again today and the mushrooms seem to have disappeared. If that's all the longer they last then I'm fine leaving them be. But I do have some spots that need to be filled and seeded anyway so maybe I'll add this to the list if time allows.
The mushrooms fed off the nutrients that were still in the tree roots, yet the nutrients are gone in the roots and the soil above the tree roots is nutrient-poor as well; in mushroom cultivation this layer of soil or mulch is known as a "casing" layer. It is one factor that triggers fruiting of the mushrooms along with exposure to moisture then drainage or drying and temperature changes. One way to change the environment to make it unfavorable for them is to change the pH of the soil. If they like alkaline soils then a mulch of pine needles or an acidic mulch would deter their propagation. If they like acidic soils then neutralizing the soil with calcium carbonate should help.
If they like neutral pH then acidify the soil.
Once it rains or the soil is watered it will be absorbed into the ground.
Another way is by using yeasts which ferment organic matter, mushrooms do not tolerate alcohol. And if yeasts are present they ferment organic matter producing ethyl alcohol that inhibits the growth of other fungi. In addition the yeasts utilize the available nutrients putting the other inhibited fungi
in a bad situation. This effect also works on molds like trichoderma and mucors.
But this method would only be possible if the area is always moist and wet, areas with poor drainage.
Last edited by AcidHorse; 10-08-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Last edited by AcidHorse; 10-08-2008 at 02:26 PM.
now i don't know if its coincidence or true but old lore and i've always done this and never had a mushroom or other fungus problem from a cut down stump, is that you plant a hens and chicks plant on the top of every stump that you cut down an old tree like a sycamore that if the hens make chicks then you'll never get mushrooms from rotting roots. we haven't yet had a mushroom or other fungus crop from a cut down tree (stump or roots) but i have seen mushrooms toad stools and other fungus of other kinds and sources growing in other areas from time to time.
hens and chicks plants are succulant type plants kind of like sedum but not thorny like cactus.
whenever i've picked a toad stool or mushroom and didnt want it to spread i've plucked with a plastic bag inverted over my hand like a glove and covered it. gotta pluck em before they curl and open - and you don't want to spread the spores -- if you do it wrong you'll end up with a real crop of them in a few days all over the lawn! so don't just rake them off and in because their spores will continue to ripen and spread with the wind!
p.s. i wouldn't trust an identification with a picture over the internet. if you're not privy to an expert in fungi identification i'd not pick from the lawn and cook up and eat just anything that grew in the yard lots of look-alike poisonous fungi are out there and you wouldn't want to risk sudden liver failure or some other negative reaction. if you have a person you can check with who is expert then well mabe i'd risk it but only if he or she ate em first!!
Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 10-08-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Reason: added a p.s.
This has been a interesting feed on mushrooms. I have the same problem, but I do not know the history of the lawn. We have tall white/orange mushrooms that grow in our backyard. Occasionally, I have to go out there and pull them up, as I have two beagles that love to eat whatever smells good.
I am afraid if they eat these mushrooms, they will get sick. So far, if they have eaten them, they have not gotten sick, or sick from those.
Not being an expert myself, I do realize that there are a lot of "copy cat" mushrooms that can be deadly.
Thanks for all the information,