+ Reply to Thread

Question Noise reduction for rowhome walls?

Hello, I have a rowhome, circa 1918 in Baltimore. I am not sure of the insulation in the wall itself (if any), but I know there are two layers of brick (maybe even just one) covered by a plaster wall separating our homes. I hear EVERY WORD my neighbors say in EVERY ROOM of my house. I am most concerned with trying to minimize the sound in my bedroom since their "home office" is on the other side of the wall. I was thinking of adding a layer of insulation and drywall on top of the existing wall, but I've been told this is not an effective measure plus it would decrease the dimensions of my bedroom. Any suggestions out there aside from ear plugs which I already use? It doesn't help that they both have really high-pitched whiney voices like nails going down a chalkboard. Thanks for any thoughts!

Default Re: Noise reduction for rowhome walls?

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    is this wall just brick or is there a stud wall there

if its a stud wall, remove the old plaster, insulate the wall cavity, then install resiliant channel horizontally every 16" and then apply 5/8 type x drywall or a relatively new product called sound board which from what ive read will absorb 11 times the amount of sound of normal drywall over that, bond, skim coat prime, paint, enjoy
    Thanks for your response. Where do I buy this product SoundBoard? Also, is it specialty insulation that I need to purchase? All I've found at Lowe's and Home Depot are the generic insulation products.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Noise reduction for rowhome walls?

Quote Originally Posted by crosari2 View Post
    Thanks for your response. Where do I buy this product SoundBoard? Also, is it specialty insulation that I need to purchase? All I've found at Lowe's and Home Depot are the generic insulation products.

Thanks for your help!
    I grew up in Baltimore and did electrical work in the city for many years. I can bet you have plaster directly over the brick with no studs. What part of Baltimore? as a adult I lived in Perry Hall...Lived in west Baltimore near Pratt and Payson streets. Lived as a teenager in Hamilton. Now I reside in Minnesota.

Jkirk's idea is what I would do. Sometimes you need to give up space to keep your space quiet
    Harry