+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default Shocking light switch

    All day long I get shocks from the light switches and the house is really staticy. Can anyone tell me if I have a problem or not?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Posts
    5,821

    Default Re: Shocking light switch

    Increasing the humidity or spray the carpet with anti static spray generally helps.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shamokin, Pa.
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: Shocking light switch

    Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Increasing the humidity or spray the carpet with anti static spray generally helps.
    Jack
    I agree with JLMCDANIEL, signed, Dr.Gregory House.
    Low winter time household humidity is a royal pain.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,147

    Default Re: Shocking light switch

    Question, are you getting shocked off the switch or are you getting zapped off the cover plate screws?

    With the increased static in the air, I'd get zapped by the cover plate screws, the fix was to replace the screws with nylon. No more problem.

    FYI, the same thing happens getting and out of the vehicles. Before getting out, grab the metal part of the door, then put your foot on the ground - no more zap.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Shocking light switch

    I'd be surprised if you weren't getting static shocks touching other items as well.

    My GF is constantly zapping the microwave and thermostat knocking out the programming. I'm always scared of getting a huge jolt when she touches me.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: Shocking light switch

    Winter time makes me neurotic about static sparks. You should see me walk up to a water fountain, I'll stand there glaring at it for a good 5-10s before I gingerly tap the metal on the fountain before I turn it on and lean over. Nothing worse then a water foutain static spark to the lips or tounge.

    I do Spruce's method with cars, I hold on to the metal part of the door before getting out to cut down on shocks.

    Nylon screw on switch plates will cut down on static sparks.

    Also higher humidity mostly gets rid of this. I find that static generally only starts to be a real issue once the humidity level drops below around 30%. I installed a whole house humidifier (Honeywell one) in the fall and it has made a world of difference. Keeps the humidity around 42-45% (where I like it) and the house feels warmer at the same temperature as well as pretty much no static shocking and no chapped lips this winter time (it has been a God send for my wife's asthama as well). Only ran me about $150 for everything and about 3hrs of my time to install it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alpharetta, Ga
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Shocking light switch

    We have the issue in our home as well. The humidifier seems to help alot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •