+ Reply to Thread

Default brown water in tub

The hot water coming out of our tub faucet turns brown after a few seconds (obviously rust in the water). It eventually gets better but not enough to be clear. We hardly use this tub but have been attentive to run the water daily since we thought it was from lack of use. The problem remains and we cannot use the tub/jacuzzi. Why is the water rusty? The hot water in the sinks and shower is clear. This bathroom was remodeled 5 years ago. Thanks for any suggestion you may have to solve the problem.

Default Re: brown water in tub

My guess is that if any of the pipes feeding the tub are galvanized, this is likely the source. Since you said that the bathroom was recently remodeled, was the piping to the sink and toilet replaced? I have seen cases where new piping is installed in part of a house during a renovation, but the old remains in other areas, if the renovation does not include those areas. The tub could be fed from some of this older piping from another part of the house, and therefore, is the only fixture in the bathroom with the rusty water.

Quote Originally Posted by JEWEATHER View Post
    My guess is that if any of the pipes feeding the tub are galvanized, this is likely the source. Since you said that the bathroom was recently remodeled, was the piping to the sink and toilet replaced? I have seen cases where new piping is installed in part of a house during a renovation, but the old remains in other areas, if the renovation does not include those areas. The tub could be fed from some of this older piping from another part of the house, and therefore, is the only fixture in the bathroom with the rusty water.
    Thanks for your answer, that is probably the case since we put 3/4' pipes to feed the shower (jets etc...). What should I do? change the pipes? Could the water heater tank be the culprit and we only see it because the water is in the tub? The toilet uses cold water and we never really collect enough water in the sinks to know if the water would turn brown. Should I call my plumber?:

If you look inside of your toilet tank and it is brown on the inside it will be iron in the water. But, I agree with the other posts: it could be the old galvanized pipe still in the house. If you run the water and let it go down the drain and then run the clear water it won't hurt your tub. You can also open the drain vavle on the water heater and flush it out with the garden hose. Process of elimanation. Good luck.