Default how to install pre hung doors???? jamb width questions

I bought an old three family a few months ago and it needs all new doors. It had old horse-hair plaster so I just covered it up with sheetrock. All of the door jambs are very different in width. The doors are also very different in size seeing that this was a very old house. I just stripped the doors out now its time to replace. I know home depot only carries the 4.5 width door jambs in the store. I really do not know much about how to measure the jambs to know which ones to get. Most of the jambs measure around 5 inches but there is now sheetrock over the jamb. So do I measure the sheetrock as well for the jamb width? Or is there a way I can buy the standard 4.5 jambs with and adjust the door somehow to fit the width that I have now? I guess what I am trying to ask is- when measuring the jambs, do I measure just the wood in the jamb or do I have to measure the sheetrock along with that? any help would be greatly appreciated seeing doors are very greek to me! thanks!

Default Re: how to install pre hung doors???? jamb width questions

Measure the wall thickness from finished surface to finished surface, that is what the width of the jamb needs to be.

There are two ways to deal with the situation. Buy the narrower jamb, install them with custom cut jamb extensions, or custom order what you need from a door supplier. I recommend consulting with a door and hardware supplier and avoid the Evil Orange.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

The cheapest way is to order a standard, then cut strips of wood to make jamb extensions. If you order special the company generally cuts strips of wood and installs them as jamb extensions.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

keep an eye on the threshold depth .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush