+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulation under carpet squares

I'm ripping out some old linoleum and carpet from a (very dry) 1/2 exposed basement and putting down berber carpet tiles. The tiles are 12"x12" and self-adhesive.

I'm wondering if there is an easy option for insulting under the tiles. I've found a few sites talking about putting down 1" extruded polystyrene sheeting under laminate flooring but I'm not sure if it will compress under something more flexible like carpet. Any other ideas out there?

Default Re: Insulation under carpet squares

Quote Originally Posted by edalquist View Post
    I'm ripping out some old linoleum and carpet from a (very dry) 1/2 exposed basement and putting down berber carpet tiles. The tiles are 12"x12" and self-adhesive.

I'm wondering if there is an easy option for insulting under the tiles. I've found a few sites talking about putting down 1" extruded polystyrene sheeting under laminate flooring but I'm not sure if it will compress under something more flexible like carpet. Any other ideas out there?
    The rigid foam laid on the concrete is a very effective system of providing a nice warm and comfortable floor in a basement.

However, it needs to have a firm covering like plywood or perhaps laminate planks to displace loads. If you push your finger tip into the rigid foam sheet you will puncture it. By placing a firm cover like wood prevents your finger leaving any kind of mark to the foam sheet.
    The carpet would be too soft to lay right over the rigid foam so, anything like the legs of a couch for example , would sink into the foam.

If you wanted to use the rigid foam you would need to place plywood or perhaps OSB overtop then lay the carpet.

Hopefully this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Insulation under carpet squares

I am looking to replace the current wood flooring which is glued down to a concrete slab. The current floor can be cold because of the concrete especially along the walls. I have been looking for some kind of thin insulation similar to what you are talking about. Can prefinished hardwood flooring be applied over this one inch insulation?