+ Reply to Thread

Question latex over oil based primer

I bought a mistinted can of paint to redo my white phone table to brown. I know now that it was an oil based tinted primer. Can I paint over it with latex? My husband says I need to prime it first, but since it was a "primer" I wonder if that is necessary.

Default Re: latex over oil based primer

Wifeofdiy.

Short answer: yes, you can paint over an oil based primer with a latex/acrylic paint. If the finish color is going to be dark, it is definitely a good idea to tint down the primer.

I am not a big fan of latex/acrylics as finish coats on furniture. It does not dry to a hard film as does oil. It has a sticky feel which is even more prevalent when it is humid. It generally does not level itself as well as oil paint, with brush marks being more prominent.

Smile Re: latex over oil based primer

Quote Originally Posted by wife of diy View Post
    I bought a mistinted can of paint to redo my white phone table to brown. I know now that it was an oil based tinted primer. Can I paint over it with latex? My husband says I need to prime it first, but since it was a "primer" I wonder if that is necessary.
    Get an acrylic based primer, and use it over the oil base primer, then use your brown water base paint. Remember water and oil does not mix, the acrylic is the go between.

Ditto to Ordjen's post.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i trick a painter told me to do to make latex paint less sticky and more durable is to add water to the paint and apply several thin coats.