+ Reply to Thread

Angry oil or water paint

i just finished painting inside window sill with water based paint mother in law busted my chops cause it was not as smooth as the stuff she had painted by pro. why is that? i used a quilty water based paint and foam brush. please help so i can shut her up!

Default Re: oil or water paint

i used a quilty water based paint and foam brush. please help so i can shut her up!
    Tough spot to be in.
    Another point .... with latex it's very difficult to achieve as smooth a finish as with oil based paints.

The latex dries quickly and the applicator strokes don't settle as much as with oil paint which dries slower.

Tough call from here cause we didn't see all that was done prep-wise and/or what wasn't done.

You wiped/vacuumed the surface first...yes?

Clean new paint?

If it's just a matter of brushing marks showing (or similar).......you might have over-worked the material (at the wrong time), painted with a breeze blowing across that sill, etc. Hard to say.

You can slow the drying rate of latex paints by adding some Floetrol to the paint. Better leveling that way. Nonetheless, it's still difficult to get latex paints to level as well as oil-based.....unless you're spraying the latex.

Tell her to fork out some cash for a Pro! That may calm her down! or Use Oil...