+ Reply to Thread

Default c.1925 House Question

I am interested in purchasing a house built in 1925. The current homeowner knows there is hardwood under the carpet on the first floor(which I have confirmed). She does not believe there is hardwood under the carpet on the second level(including the staircase). I attempted to peek through by prying back a couple of tacks under the shag. It looked like it was plywood but hard to really tell. Were homes built during the 20's that were partially hardwood?? Any thoughts would be great!! Thanks!!

Tim

Default Re: c.1925 House Question

The home is all original with no additions made(2 floors with a full unfinished basement and walk up attic). I also found it odd not to have hardwood beyond the first floor(which was why I posted this thread). I would be much more likely to put an offer in knowing the upstairs is wood as well(this is my first home purchase and I am being a little careful!!)

Do as asc2078 said. It does not damage the carpet and you just need to press it back down when done. You may have been seeing the tack strip under the edge of the carpet which is usually plywood.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I agree with DB and JLM.

It's not uncommon in older homes to find higher quality oak floors on the main level in rooms like the parlor ( living room ) and the dining room.... these were considered the money rooms.

Lesser quality fir or pine on the second level.... at times the kitchen which may have been covered over with real linoleum ... since these rooms were secondary and out of site.