+ Reply to Thread

Question Painting Wicker Furnature

I have some older faded natural wicker furnature I want to "liven up" I don't want to paint it but can I use a clear finish or matt finish product on the market I can use? I want something to seal it. Thanks

Default Re: Painting Wicker Furnature

I don't know about a matte product or a sealer.... I have painted wicker with a couple cans of spray paint and it came out just great (it was a blah and depressing brown, so I sprayed it with a primer and then a beautiful blue - was not vintage stuff, though).

You would want to stick with a latex type coating because it stays flexible oil based products are harder and will crack when the wicker flexes. You could use satin latex polyurethane or if you want a real dull finish you might try BLO (boiled linseed oil). I would suggest what ever you try, try it in an inconspicuous area first.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 05-12-2008 at 10:55 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Painting Wicker Furniture

Jack, or anyone else knowledgeable

I have several pieces of old wicker (not the poly repro stuff) which I have pressure washed clean of old loose paint, and will vacuum off the few residual flakes. Yes, it has dried for over a week since washing...
    I have seen several suggestions re using Krylon plastic-friendly paints, primers, etc - all using hand aerosol cans.
    I would like to get solid deep coverage and pressure adhesion using my Sears airless paint sprayer rather than aerosol cans, if appropriate.

Can anyone address balance between good adhesion vs max required flexibility for oil-based vs latex or acrylic primers, as well as topcoat?

Also, if anyone has had good or bad experiences using an airless (Wagner-type) sprayer, including what dilutions and nozzle sizes, please amplify.

Thanks for any help,

Stan
    Last edited by Stan B; 06-17-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: misspelling

Oil based is IMHO the most reliable finish for exterior use and has about the best adhesion however it drys rock hard and cracks when applied to flexible material such as wicker. The latex paint has come a long way, the newer paints have good adhesion, a fairly durable surface but remains flexible. Used with the proper primer is almost as durable as oil based. I have never used the plastic coat paints on wicker but have on synthetic or poly wicker. It worked very well seemed to be flexible but cracked over time.
    Airless sprayers work well and generally you can use the paint right out of the can with no thinning. Using a sprayer is more about technique and thin coats than the type of paint used.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Painting Wicker Furniture

Jack,

Thanks for the further advice - I think I'm going to go with the latex handheld aerosol - specifically Krylon H2O 2614 Primer and 2606 Arctic White - which type paint they (Krylon) specifically cite for wicker applications.

Also rethought the thickness consideration - that even with latex, a good thin layer from an aerosol can should also flex a bit better than a thicker coating from a sprayer...but I am going to use one of the trigger-type handles, for sure...

Krylon webpages:
    http://www.krylon.com/environment/h20/
    and their general catalog, which contains an astounding variety of general and specialty paints, at
    http://www.krylon.com/products/
    I also was able to download a .pdf catalog titled "KRYLON PAINTS 2008-product-catalog.pdf" but can't find from what webpage at this moment - also an awesome catalog. And that doesn't include their industrial lines...

Thanks for the advice, and I'll report initial results for others' info.

Stan