+ Reply to Thread

Question Combo Kit Reccomendation (Drill, Circular Saw, Jig Saw)

I am a new homeowner and sick of borrowing tools from friends and family. I was thinking about investing in some decent power tools, but don't really know the differences between brands, power, volts and what not.
    I see lots of brands offer combo packs, what would anyone out their recommend for a pack that has a Drill, Circular Saw, and Jig Saw. I won't really need top of the line, but don't want to cheap out either, so mid range tools would be good.

Thanks for any help.

Keith

Default Re: Combo Kit Reccomendation (Drill, Circular Saw, Jig Saw)

IMHO, you can't go wrong with 18v DeWalt. The only exception to that is a cordless reciprocating saw (sawzall ). Cordless just doesn't have the gumption to do most work required of a sawzall type tool, stick with a corded tool here. For a jig saw, I can't really recommend a good one. I've got the 18v DeWalt jig saw and while I like it, I'm not really sold on it. The biggest problem is with the base shoe not staying put, the second problem is similar to the sawzall in having enough grunt or run time.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

you can compare what people that have them google compare power tools. lots of sites that offer this free.
    Harry

Personally I don't buy combo packs. You usually get 1 or 2 tools you will use and 2 or 3 that you will never use or are under powered. Batteries cost almost as much as the tools so why but 5 tools and two batteries. Besides degrading with each recharge batteries also degrade with time. Buying powered tools and a good extension cord is better as far as I'm concerned. The best way, IMHO, to buy tools is to buy what you need when you need it and buy the best you can afford.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If I were investing in my first power tools , I would probably go with corded tools . Add cordless drills ,etc. as you find a need for them .

About the DeWalt cordless reciprocating saw , we just bought one at work ( 18v ) . I'm very impressed with the power and run time . I have used it to cut some steel control panels and it performed great .

Thanks for the info, I will check out some other reviews and see if I can get to look at some of the differences in a store.

I've been using Dewalt 18v. tools for about the past 5 years (in addition to corded tools.) The drill/hammerdrill gets daily use, (as well as the radio) while the other tools get occasional use (circular saw & reciprocating saw). Though I've been generally happy with their performance, I'm getting tired of buying replacement batteries every 2 years or so. They retail for about $70 each, but can usually be found in a 2-pack for about $100-120. For that reason alone, I've been thinking about changing to Rigid brand tools. The EO recently had their 18-v. drill for about $100 with battery & charger, & it carries a lifetime warranty, including the battery.

Having said that, cordless tools are convenient, but will never replace corded tools. For a first-time buyer, I'd go with corded tools, then add a cordless drill. The Milwaukee Sawzall is a great tool, and the lower-end model sells for just over $100, but is a tool that will last an average homeowner a lifetime. Bosch (I believe) invented the jigsaw, & still makes one of the best, though I like the easy blade change on the Dewalt. Either one is good. Being a professional carpenter, I have several circular saws, but almost always reach for the Skil worm-drive saw. I used the HD77 for years, but switched to the HD77M, which is 2 pounds lighter. Those 2 pounds make a difference when you're cutting stairs or rafters all day. Many people have a hard time getting used to a worm-drive saw, though most pros swear by them. Borrow one & try it before you decide to buy one. Drills are a toss-up. Start with a 3/8" VSR by any major manufacturer. Just be sure that it has a cordless chuck.
    HTH

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave357 View Post
    Having said that, cordless tools are convenient, but will never replace corded tools. For a first-time buyer, I'd go with corded tools, then add a cordless drill. The Milwaukee Sawzall is a great tool, and the lower-end model sells for just over $100, but is a tool that will last an average homeowner a lifetime. Bosch (I believe) invented the jigsaw, & still makes one of the best, though I like the easy blade change on the Dewalt. Either one is good. Being a professional carpenter, I have several circular saws, but almost always reach for the Skil worm-drive saw. I used the HD77 for years, but switched to the HD77M, which is 2 pounds lighter. Those 2 pounds make a difference when you're cutting stairs or rafters all day. Many people have a hard time getting used to a worm-drive saw, though most pros swear by them. Borrow one & try it before you decide to buy one. Drills are a toss-up. Start with a 3/8" VSR by any major manufacturer. Just be sure that it has a cordless chuck.
    I concur! Before I had my Dewalt set, I had my Skil 77, Milwaukee Sawzall, Milwaukee Hole Shooter (1/2" drill ), and a 7.2 Makita cordless drill and 3" circular saw as my staple tools. It was a subcontractor that turned me onto the DeWalt 18V tools, and once I got those I was sold (considering the performance of the aforementioned Makita tools. ). I agree that the average homeowner would do better with decent corded tools than a cordless set-up because of their frequency of use. Used daily, multiple small jobs really test the limits of cordless tools. Used periodically, the average homeowner will buy more batteries due to unused potential than what the convenience of a cordless tool can provide..

Unused potential refers to the fact that a charged battery left sitting will deteriorate at a faster rate that a battery that is used daily. Even if the battery is left on sitting on a charger while not in use, it will still deteriorate.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would have to be another supporter for DeWalt tools which my brother initially turned me on too and who is an electrician. I use the cordless DC520B drill which is rock solid and does the work around the home. Other brands you might consider are MIlwaukee as mentioned, Bosch, Makita, and Panasonic.

The following sites respectively will give more information on kits.

DeWalt: http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/
    Milwaukee: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192137_192137
    Bosch: http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...tCategory.aspx
    Makita: http://www.makita.com/prod_new.htm
    Panasonic: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...ss-Tools.75116

I would also recommend searching ****** for deals and reviews, I personally have purchased through http://www.toolup.com which has good product descriptions and deals. Shop around though and get the opinions from others.

Here's a vote for Ridgid. I have several corded and cordless tools from them and have yet to be disappointed. Add in a lifetime warranty and IMHO I don't think you can go wrong. Just make sure you send in the registration card to get the lifetime warranty!