+ Reply to Thread

Question Vintage switches

I am remodeling a 1923, 21 room house that has brass toggle switches with a porcelan base. I am looking to purchase aditional switches of this kind in keeping with the period look. Any ideas would be welcomed
    royhathaway@yahoo.com

Default Re: Vintage switches

This question or simular to your question has come up before. Someone said there was a place in Australia sold them. I would stay away from old or used switches.What ever you use just make sure what ever you buy is UL tested and rated. UL is a lab that test electrical equipment to make sure it is safe. Remember safty first looks second.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    This question or simular to your question has come up before. Someone said there was a place in Australia sold them. I would stay away from old or used switches.What ever you use just make sure what ever you buy is UL tested and rated. UL is a lab that test electrical equipment to make sure it is safe. Remember safty first looks second.
    I bought a few single pole & 3 way switches from a company in Oregon, I believe it was. I have no idea the name of said company, but I think I googled them.
    Just make sure they are UL & CSA listed. They were rather salty, that I do know.

Here in Baltimore we have several stores that specialize in salvage from old house renovations. This includes just about everything from doorknobs to fixtures, to... well you name it. I'm sure they have their share of old switches and the like.

There is also a co-op/non-profit type store called the Loading Dock which is kinda like a Goodwill for new and used building products of all sorts. I bought both a 1950's mint green toilet and a lemon yellow sink basin for under $20.

Perhaps your city has something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by xyxoxy View Post
    Here in Baltimore we have several stores that specialize in salvage from old house renovations. This includes just about everything from doorknobs to fixtures, to... well you name it. I'm sure they have their share of old switches and the like.

There is also a co-op/non-profit type store called the Loading Dock which is kinda like a Goodwill for new and used building products of all sorts. I bought both a 1950's mint green toilet and a lemon yellow sink basin for under $20.

Perhaps your city has something similar?
    I lived in Baltimore for 47 years... I miss those steamed crabs. and Attmans corned beef and of course the Ravens and orioles
    Harry

You should be able to find a store ****** that sells what you're looking for.

A quick google search turned up this place You didn't specify where you were located, but that place is in the UK, where I think these types of switches were more popular.

I lived in Baltimore for 47 years... I miss those steamed crabs. and Attmans corned beef and of course the Ravens and orioles
    They are all still here waiting for you
    I should have guessed with a handle that includes "Ravens".

I just referred someone else to a "Loading Dock" type store in MN and your profile says you are there as well.
    http://www.thereusecenter.com/ is near Minneapolis and if you are not close to there perhaps they can redirect you.

Re-using building supplies is a wonderful thing as long as you are electrically safe as the other posts suggest.

Edit: Sorry...I've read your posts and know that you most certainly understand electrical safety. I didn't mean to imply otherwise
    Last edited by xyxoxy; 05-19-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: More info