+ Reply to Thread

Default Water on the basement wall

Problem Description:
    Work started in August 2007 to add a few rooms to my home, including a basement under the additional rooms. The basement walls are constructed of cement block and were finished on the outside with the tar, plastic and “pink board”. I noticed two wet areas on the interior basement walls, after a rain melted several inches of snow. My contractor told me that the proper drainage had been installed around the outside of the house and these wet areas weren’t leaks and the water spots would not happen again once the gutters were installed.

I don’t agree with him. I believe that it may not happen again, if water or snow is never allowed to build up and melt in that area ever again. However, if the original problem is not corrected, the problem still exists and it is possible that it can reoccur. I had an independent person, who worked in waterproofing for 15 years, tell me that it did not appear to be a major problem; it could be as simple as a rock pierced the “pink board” and plastic which allowed the water to flow through , which sounds like a link to me.

I am having the basement finished and on one the walls in question, I have plans for a kitchen – cabinets and a sink (already plumbed). I envision mold and mildew growing behind the finished wall going unnoticed for years, if I allow the contractor to complete the work without addressing the “leak” problem.

Questions: Do you believe this to be a problem? Should I insist on have this corrected?

Default Re: Water on the basement wall

ASC is right I have used dry-loc before it is well worth the effort.
    Harry