+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face anyone see the new festool kapex miter saw?

i'm 31 years old now and i've been watching TOH since i was a kid. i used to really love this show. i've seen just about everything including norm's show, nyw. but recently TOH is way out of hand. everything from the tools to the materials are over the top. have you seen the new festool kapex miter saw tom silva is using? you can't even get it in the u.s. yet. it's only available over seas from germany to austrailia for abou $1900. i mean come on! i would fall off my couch the day i see tom silva pull out a dewalt tool.

Default Re: anyone see the new festool kapex miter saw?

yes I have seen it and have used it. it is a great saw and has some great advantages. dial in the angle to a exact degree or even a 1/2 degree.

collects dust very well and instead of having the upper guide rails go back into a wall and need more space. this saw can go almost up against a wall because the arms are in front.

the saw should be out this summer, I think. a bit pricy, but a great value for a festool.

i want to add that toh has been using festool even though they do not mention it. but festools are the best and are a great value for the money. there service a purpose and fill that need. as a professional carpenter, I use festools every day and they save time and are backed by a great guarantee.

Do they guarantee that they wont get stolen. And anyway What are they a great value compared to. You mean there is something as good but far more expensive. That miter saw is up there with 3phase shop equipment. ForGet that mess. Yall just fell in the Kool aid brother. Money doesn't buy skill or workmanship.

no it does not buy skill or workmanship, just look at all the old archtiture from years ago 100 plus and even b efore power. hand saws and hand tools have done magnificent work.

but since we have available these tools some will buy and some will not.. the kapex is nice to use up againt a shop wall... it also can dial in the bevel angel to an exact 1/2 degree or even closer if need. and other things that some saws do not have. so if you have extra money around then why not? add another top of the line tool? I use the ts55 and ts75 from festool and the dust extractor. great investment for ripping down sheet goods. sure some use a straight edge and clamp it down I just prefer now that I have it to use it.

Here Here to Kreg on the remarkable skill that went into the buildings we love to see and light up if we can get into some remodeling on.

BUUUUUUUUUT, come on brother, argue that tight up against the wall mess when you tell the SWMBO why you dropped two and a half house notes on a contraption that the $150 wil do pluss a little rasp work maybe. When the trim carpenters are in the house they practicaly own it and everyone else can walk some other way. And for everyday workers I see 12" compoud radial sliders saws by DeWalt on every job and they are less than half the price.

And *** what about that cordless stuff. I didn't even see Li batteries. And the perfomance sheets did not show anything that sells the product over more commercially available products. Except that it doesn't look as hideously rediculous as the stuff Hitachi is putting out. And, they do look tight quarters friendly
    Last edited by i.m.plummin; 05-04-2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: correction

Smile Re: anyone see the new festool kapex miter saw?

yes, i love my 12" sliding compound miter saw. too bad it's a Dewalt (not a huge fan of Dewalt AT ALL!) but it is a great saw. After posting this thread i read up on the Kapex miter saw and do like how it doesn't require the deep space behind the saw for the sliding action. I also just learned how to cut crown laying it flat on the compound miter saw....what is this? 15 years in doing carpentry and no one has every showed me this. I saw the video on toh website. has anyone else cut crown using this method? any thoughts, pros' cons? i do a fair amount of crown but hold it against the rail at an angle, tough!
    thanks

if you want to cut crown, go to this website an order the crown video, http://www.garymkatz.com/publications_dvds.html

scroll down a bit and you will see it. it is how I learned to cut crown. much easier than on the flat.

you set up this way and it will come out perfect almost 99% of the time.

Smile Re: anyone see the new festool kapex miter saw?

http://www.hearth-works.com/
    here is the link to the video on toh.
    i still haven't tried it yet. but I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to play around with the scrap crown i have in the basement to see how well it works. if it's too difficult, i would definatly order a dvd from the gary katz website.
    cheers

woops, sorry about that. i was looking at gas fireplaces on another page while reading toh.
    here's the link:
    http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...056482,00.html
    everyone, thanks for the links and tips on cutting crown.
    anyone going to the ibs or jlc live show in providence, ri? there was a great festool exibit there last year.