+ Reply to Thread

Default glue on slate floor

We bought a house that has black honed slate floors which had been covered over by carpeting which had been glued in spots throughout the floor and tacked around the edges. What is the best way to remove the glue without damaging the slate?

Thanks!

Default Re: glue on slate floor

Good luck!! LOL...sorry, couldn't help myself. Major problem.
    Depends what kinda glue.
    If it were me, I'd find out what kind of glue it is and look into companies that manufactor it to find a solvent.
    Good chance the slate will become ruined but thats the only route I can think of. Mechanical removal would only damage the slate I'd think.
    You'll need some sort of solvent.
    I'd first try "Lift Off" which you can get at any box store or paint store.
    Denatured alcohol might be another solvent to try.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

The carpet pad glues that I've encountered are cleaned up with either mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. These products may stain the slate, so try them in an inconspicuous place first.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I had the thought that if the glue is only in spots rather than spread everwhere, perhaps using a sealant first on the bare areas might be a good idea, to limit laborious cleanup to the spots only. Afterwards, seal where the spots used to be.

I also remember seeing "Adhesive Remover" somewhere, in addition to mineral spirits etc.

I don't think you will be able to spare the flour, that glue is hard to remove. I think you should consider another alternative...