+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New central heat and air unit quote High?

Just had a quote for a new central heat and air unit, the amount was $13800. They are going to use the duct work thats already present since it is only 12 years old. The quote was for a XL19(19 seer) AC unit, Clean Effects, duel fuel furnace, new thermastat. What do you think, to high????

Default Re: New central heat and air unit quote High?

It's not clear as to what duel fuel furnace equipment will be used.
    If it's just for replacing existing equipment it sounds kinda high to me .... more quotes from other suppliers sounds to be in order.

I agree with canuk---always get several quotes on such a major purchase as this---the choice of equipment and the price will always vary widely.

I agree with Canuk also. Always get three quotes form three different contractors. They typically will not offer the same brands but are compareable.Tell them to give it their best shot as you are getting three bids. Make sure they have the same Seer rating on the AC unit and the same Efficiency on the heating unit when comparing all the bids. The cheapest bid is may not always be the best value. Make sure they explain in detail on what the will be doing when installing your new unit. Make sure all the options are in the contract and what they include as far as a warrrenty. Once you have the bids in hand and all have explained verbally on how they will install your units you can make a educated decision what is the best value. Then choose by your gut felling on what is the best value and the best contractor.
    Harry

The duel fuel furnace, on how it was explain to me was that it will be electric till it gets below 25 degrees Far. then it will use gas. Im not to educated on the AC/Heat lingo. Is there any one out there that is a Heat & Air pro that could actually tell me what they think about Trane products. Right now my brother in law is saying its all the same. Please help!!

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Sounds like you have a heat pump unit Bick, with NG backup heat.

A heat pump conditions the air in the summer by removing the heat from inside and expelling it outdoors, similar to an air conditioner using compressed gas/refrigerant with an air handler blowing on the coils, but in the heating season does the reverse via a series of dampeners changing position. They don't work well when you get below freezing temps outdoors, hence the need for a backup source of heat. Sometimes electric heat strips are used, very inefficient and expensive heat source to run. Seems you have a NG fired heat exchanger in-line as your backup source of heat.

Discussing pricing and comparing quotes is somewhat meaningless without a heat loss and gain study and calculations to determine the effective sizing of whatever unit you may need that is adjusted for your climate region, specifics to your lot and landscape and such. Sometimes a unit will be grossly oversized to compensate for the summer heat load and be very inefficient in the winter, when what was needed was a stronger and multi speed multi stage fan/control in the air handler, or adjusting the location of the unit outdoors.
    Not sure where you get the " dampeners changing position " explanation from , every heat pump I've ever seen in residential applications use a reversing valve . Can you show me what you are talking about ?

Quote Originally Posted by BICK View Post
    The duel fuel furnace, on how it was explain to me was that it will be electric till it gets below 25 degrees Far. then it will use gas. Im not to educated on the AC/Heat lingo. Is there any one out there that is a Heat & Air pro that could actually tell me what they think about Trane products. Right now my brother in law is saying its all the same. Please help!!
    The principal of duel heat is pretty much that .... you will use electricity for a heat pump for heating until the outside temperature reaches around below 35 degrees. As the outside temperature becomes colder it becomes more difficult to extract heat and becomes very inefficient to run the heat pump so that's where the second source would come into play.

The second source of heat will be fueled by oil , natural gas (NG) or propane (LP).

From what you have indicated is there will be a heat pump ( A/C), a furnace , air cleaner , a thermostat ( that is specifically designed for duel heating ) installed using the existing duct work.

What isn't clear is this replacing an existing duel heating source or will the second fueled heat source be an addition ?
    If it is an addition the price may also be including the fuel source .... oil , NG , LP.... as well the venting required.

Generally ..... Trane is considered as one of the higher quality units.

It still is recommended to seek out more than one quote. When doing so make sure you have quotes based on the same equipment so you are comparing apples to apples.

Hope this helps.

I'll let the expert speak even though I know these systems and have worked on them. I assume OP have the credentials. Again some one continues to slam others
    Harry

Ravens , chk your messages .

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    I don't get that impression at all. I get the distinct impression that the OP is describing a packaged dual fuel air-source unit, not a split (air-source) system or a field installed componant system, although I was unaware that Trane was offering beyond 14 or 16 SEER unit with a heat efficiency beyond around 8, and I noted the OP did not use a "c" modifier with the unit number.

12-year-old home would be about right replacing a packaged system, might be switching from all-electric to dual fuel for energy and cost efficiency, or upgrading to a packaged system from a split system for the same reason.
    Well that may be ... however...
    The quote was for a XL19(19 seer) AC unit, Clean Effects, duel fuel furnace, new thermastat
    .... since the OP mentioned the XL19 this is a split system heat pump as you will notice when you go back and re-read Trane's web-site.
    That's what gave the impression I have.