+ Reply to Thread

Default pantry/laundry room door

I am trying to change the entrance to my pantry/laundry room. It has a door that connects to my kitchen which I am in the process of renovating. I am considering removing the door and leaving the entry open to use the area as an expansion of my small kitchen. This is a family project. We have really thought of multiple options as follows: removing the door frame all the way to the ceiling and making two separate walls, installing a new door with a window or framed picture from the top of the door to the ceiling, or just removing the door frame and finishing the wall above the door to the ceiling. The problem we have is we are replacing very thin wood paneling with 1/2 inch thick drywall. However, the drywall is only being installed on the left side and possibly the top of the door frame and the paneling is being covered with wallpaper and painted on the right side of the door due to a kitchen counter and kitchen cabinets being in the way of the drywall. Our problem is the difference in thickness where the drywall and the wallpaper covered paneling meet at the top right corner of the door frame. However, I do not know exactly what is the best way to do this.

Default Re: pantry/laundry room door

Remember the show Clarissa knows it all in this case she doesn't Know (kidding). Clarissa can you take some pictures it is hard to explain what you are trying to do. I am sure somone on here can give you a solution. take over all picture and some close ups of the areas of concern. Sorry I could not help
    Harry

Default Re: pantry/laundry room door

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissa View Post
    We have really thought of multiple options as follows: removing the door frame all the way to the ceiling and making two separate walls, installing a new door with a window or framed picture from the top of the door to the ceiling, or just removing the door frame and finishing the wall above the door to the ceiling.
    Have you thought of a Dutch door? Basically cutting the existing door in half so there's a top and bottom that open/close independently. I would caution total removal of the door because of noise while operating the machines, but that's me. Another option for how to transition the drywall to the other wall would be to put a diamond above the door. The new drywall would encompass the diamond on one side, the other side would be the other wall. This diamond could be left and painted different colors to accent, could be made a transom window if structurally ok to do so, or used as a specimen spot for a unique item to display.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!