+ Reply to Thread

Default Hum in new bathroom light bar

We just installed a new bathroom light bar above the sink. It has 4 compact fluorescent bulbs with candle stick base. It hums. There is no dimmer.
    Sheila

Default Re: Hum in new bathroom light bar

I assume the bulbs (lamps) are the new compact type and not the long tube in a typical florescent lamp? What normally hums in a florescent light fixture is the ballast. But if the fixture has the newer bulbs the ballast is part of the florescent lamp. If it is the newer type. I would make sure the lamps are in the socket snug. If they are then unscrew the lamps on at a time to see which lamp hums. If you find one or multiple lamps that hum replace it.
    If it is the older type with the long tubes and a ballast. Make sure the lamps are in the socket correctly. and make sure the ballast is tightened. All Ballast do hum but are rated by a sound rating A through D. A being the quietest which you should have in your fixture. on the ballast it should be marked somewhere. Good luck
    Harry

It's normal to have a hum from any florescent light. All of my florescent lights hum.

Perhaps they just don't know the words?

"Perhaps they just don't know the words?"

Thats why it is better to get a karaoke bar instead of a light bar.

Another reason not to like cheap compact fluorescent lamps.
    The only thing you can do is replace them with other cf lamps or replace with incandescent bulbs. When they are close you tend to notice the hum especially when their are 4 of them.