+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Installing a privacy fence on uneven ground

I bought my home last year and the previuos owner started putting up a wooden privacy fence well lets say he did a very bad job. Nothing was in a straight line, so now I want to do it right. What I have a question on is the putting in the posts, the ground is uneven and slopes in one corner. I didnt really notice this untill i ran a line from one end to the other. So my main question is should the amount of post sticking out of the ground be even all the way across, lets say 6' from the ground to the top of the post or should I make the post touch the top of the string? Sorry for the long rant but I every thing I read is for a nice level lot.

Thank you

Default Re: Installing a privacy fence on uneven ground

Here is some information that may help :
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...fencing.html#7

How much " fall " does the yard have ?

Not sure of the exact slope but I know its more then 6", but its not just the corner slope I'm worried about there are high and low spots all across where the fence will go.

I would tend to put the posts on the "hills" and frame the fence for the "valleys". By doing this you can keep the top of the pickets straight and cut the bottoms to fit the contour of the ground. You may want to purchase a longer picket so that the fence height on the "hills" is at 6' and the valleys get longer boards cut to length. Another method would be to use a horizontal board along the bottom to elevate the pickets and cut the horizontal board to the contour and still utilize 6' pickets. I would also recommend using steel posts such as the Postmaster. They will make for a permanent fence, and IMHO, they're much easier to set than a wood post.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'm with Spruce on this . Keep the top level and cut the board to height . 8 foot long boards are available for the " valleys .