+ Reply to Thread

Default challenge for creative mind

Hello..
    I've lived in my 1927 home for about 14 yrs. I've not been able to figure out why the side door stairs were made so as to require that the upstairs kitchen floor has a permanent, bench of sorts. The head room for the stair leading to the basement takes goes up into the floor. I dont need a 'bench' where it is and it makes the already small kitchen just silly.
    Suggestions or even an answer as to why they would design such a thing? Am I the only owner of such a design? THe 'bench' must be original as it is made of lathe and plaster...
    I cant tell if the uploaded photo made it..The dimensions also make it so a standard width counter of 24 leaves about 8" of the silly stoop sticking out. I think I need a creative stair way solution...or...Well..thank you to anyone who comes across this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen bench!.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	1065  

Default Re: challenge for creative mind

I can't see the basement stairs, so I'm going to guess that either the basement was added and they needed head room , some other remodleing was done without much forsight, or someone kept banging there head and added head room.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb