+ Reply to Thread

Red face MILK PAINT Do I want to use it????

I am renovating an old one bedroom Crafstman cottage and turning it into a bungalow. I had brand new cabinets build and am interested to know if anyone has any opinions or advice about using milk paint. I think the look would be great but I want to know all about the pros and cons before I make the commitment to using it. HELP????

Default Re: MILK PAINT Do I want to use it????

It's a very soft, organic, decorative finish. It's the opposite of gloss enamel in every respect. I like milk paint, especially when steel-wooled and waxed. You can use a tinted wax to modify the color and give the effect of a antique glaze. Clear wax is also fine. The finish that results is very satiny.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Question Re: MILK PAINT Do I want to use it????

What about the fact it will be in the kitchen? I am concerned about sealing it from not only water but cooking greases and spills? Will that be easy enough or am I looking at a big ordeal? Thanks for your input!!!!

Default Re: MILK PAINT Do I want to use it????

The milk binder in milk paint is casein, a protein. It is invulnerable to all normal paint strippers. It can only be broken down by ammonia or lye. So, never clean it with any caustic cleaners; Fantastic, windex, etc. would have to be avoided. But oils, etc. won't touch it. Hard carnuba wax will protect it, but you'll have to touch up the wax yearly at least.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.