I need to enlarge a deck by 3' on one end, build an additional deck (10x15) for sunning, and replace the PT decking on the original deck. The joists (2x12) and posts (4x4) are all PT and are in good condition (9 y/o). I live in an historic district on Cape Cod and cannot use synthetic materials. The PT decking is badly checked and my grand-daughter got a pretty bad splinter last summer so I need to replace it or my GD won't go on the deck. I have to dig 4 holes for concrete footings, build out 3' to extend the original deck, and frame in the new deck. I don't want to use PT and have been looking at ipe (1x6) and mahagany (1x4) as alternatives. The ipe sounds the most durable, but also the heaviest, and the most difficult to install (cutting, drilling holes, and attaching with screws). The mahogany is a little cheaper, easier to install, but 1x4 requires more screws, etc. I know that ripping up the old PT decking is going to be difficult but necessary. If I use the ipe, do I need a hammer/drill? Will the ipe eat up skill saw blades and drills? Does one or the other require more maintenance (south facing and sunny)? Any ideas or thoughts would be most welcome.