+ Reply to Thread

Default Sidewalk Leveling via mudjacking?

HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH MUDJACKING? I HAD A LANDSCAPER COME OUT TO ESTIMATE A PATIO PAVING JOB. HE SAID I WOULD NEED TO HAVE THE BORDERING SIDEWALK REPAIRED FIRST. I CALLED A CONCRETE COMPANY WHO SUGGESTED MUD JACKING AS OPPOSED TO POURING A NEW SIDEWALK. A series of holes are drilled in an existing slab of concrete, a custom slurry mix is hydraulically pumped under settled concrete slabs, stabilizing the subsoil, filling the follow areas under the slabs and lifting the concrete to it's original grade. The holes are then patched with cement leaving a strong, permanent support under the concrete surface.
    I'M NERVOUS BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE PROCESS.....HELP PLEASE

Default Re: Sidewalk Leveling via mudjacking?

I have had some sidewalks mudjacked in the past. I would say if you only need to bring up the current sidewalk 1-2 inches mudjacking is a good alternative. My experience, however, was that after 4-5 years it needed to be done again. Perhaps that was faulty workmanship. Perhaps an experienced mudjacker can comment on the typical lifespan of a quality mudjacking job and the maximum height that can be acheived.

I'M NERVOUS BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE PROCESS.....HELP PLEASE
    Mudjacking/slabjacking has been around for quite a number of years.
    Basically a soil/cement grout mix is used ..... hence the "mud" part of the name.
    This slurry mix is pumped under the concrete to fill the void with a somewhat stable material which would raise the dropped concrete. Depending on the application can be a somewhat economical method for repair.

More than likely if you do a Google search you find information regarding this process.

Hope this helps.

The State House in Columbus, Ohio has a very wide sidewalk around it. About 20 years ago they mud jacked it when it was uneven. Very successfully. If the soil under the side walk is unstable you can get settling later but you would have the same problem with a new sidewalk also.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb