+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing Black drain pipe

We live in a 60 year old house with a septic system. I noticed moist crud builing up on the exterior of the black lead pipe as it enters the basement floor. I called a plumber and he sc****d the crud and showed how there is wicking or a slow leak through the pipe. He recommended cutting out the lead pipe from the floor back about 10 feet. He gave me an estimate of $3800, which included breaking up the floor and going down up to one foot. Additional under the floor work would be $169/ft.

The sewer route under the floor goes through a tiled bathroom and a carpeted family room if the pipe is disintegrating downstream the costs could escalate dramatically.

Our city is talking about bringing sewer and water through our neighborhood. It would be better than 50/50 this would happen in 2 years.

My question is does this seem very expensive to cut a pipe and replace it with 4 inch plastic. There are two 90 degree elbows as the pipe drops from the ceiling and is routed along the wall about 30 inches above the floor. His first alternative is to cut the pipe at grade and install plastic and that would be $2,200. For the $3,800 bid he was thinking 2 plumbers for a day.

We live in the suburbs of Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Default Re: Replacing Black drain pipe

I think you are going to hate what I have to say, but that is why I enjoy these open forums like this. I think the plumber bid of $3800 is reasonable for busting up the conctete and replacing the pipe. I think it will take 2 plumbers 2 days to do the job. And I think you should get 2 other bids and go with the one in the middle- not the lowest or the highest.

Once your sewer backs up and floods your bathroom and family room then you may think, "I wish I had replaced those pipes" but, until it actually does I don't think you will fully appreciate what your sewer pipes do for you.

Good luck. Process of elimanation.

Wink Re: Replacing Black drain pipe

I kept talking to people and found a local plumber who gave me a quote for $600 and actually completed the work.

I think the nationally syndicated plumbing franchise either did not know what they were bidding on or are crooks.

Default Re: Replacing Black drain pipe

Quote Originally Posted by JBEagle View Post
    I kept talking to people and found a local plumber who gave me a quote for $600 and actually completed the work.

I think the nationally syndicated plumbing franchise either did not know what they were bidding on or are crooks.
    I find sometimes that the nationally syndicated plumbing franchise does know what they are bidding AND they are crooks. A lot of the time they count on homeowners agreeing to their price in a panicked state of mind, without getting other bids. I always recommend that our residents get at least three bids, they can usually save a lot of money and still get quality work.