+ Reply to Thread

Default wall board help needed

I have a 1920's farm house and I'm ready for wall covering in the Living Room. I had to tear out the drywall and beadboard due to damages caused by prior owner attempts to remodel.

I am wanting to go with 1x10 pine for lower 39" - add a chair rail and drywall on top. I want to use shiplap joints for these boards and I'm debating on thin flat trip to cover seems.

I have already covered the exposed studs with 1/4" plywood and doubled up on interior wall studs for extra support. The ply was added in order to help prevent wall shifting and cracking of drywall. (house is on pier/beam) - recently had it raised 18" and double the amount of piers added also.

Problem - I am worried about the 1x10's cupping once hung. I will be able to nail/screw them into place at top and bottom on both sides of the board. Is cupping going to be a prob with boards this width? If so, what can i do to help prevent this from occurring? Should I have the boards touching or do i need to space them a little? Was not sure if they will be expected to shrink some or expand?
    Last edited by farmhousetexas; 05-08-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: another question

Default Re: wall board help needed

The best way to prevent cupping is to use quarter sawn lumber even if you have to do glue ups to get the width and yes the wood will expand and contract.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb