+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drain Problem

Default Drain Problem

I recently discovered these flies coming out of the drain that is on the floor in my laundry room/boiler room. How I know that this is the source where they are breeding,is because I placed a clear plastic cup over the drain and the flies were flying up into the cup. I live in a two family home and there is no basement.

Default Re: Drain Problem

The floor drain should have a dip, or trap, that is always filled with water. This is what keeps sewer gas out, but it also creates a barrier so that critters in the sewer system can't enter your house.

What I suspect is that you have a floor drain that has had the cleanout plug removed at some time. This cleanout passageway that should be plugged bypasses the trap of the floor drain to allow easier snaking of the line. People often remove the plug and never replace it because they don't get sewer gas coming out. The reason for this is that the floor drain is usually the lowest fixture in the system, so the vent system tends to suck air in at that point due to the height of the vents thru the roof.

Bottom line: I think the plug is missing, and you have provided the flies with a breeding ground further down the drain line. Or, if the floor drain gets so little use that the water in the trap has dried out, that would also create an unobstructed path to the sewer lines.

Replace the plug if it's missing and keep the trap of the drain full of water.
    Last edited by rdesigns; 01-22-2010 at 01:37 PM.

The flies are using the water in the bottom of the trap as a breeding ground, just add a little bleach to the flood drain and they should die a horrible death.
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by plumbinghelp.ca View Post
    The flies are using the water in the bottom of the trap as a breeding ground, just add a little bleach to the flood drain and they should die a horrible death.
    Ditto --------------
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush