+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement Plumbing

Hi,
    I purchased my current home six months ago and it was clearly plumbed for a basement bath when it was built in 1997. In the corner of the basement there are three PVC pipes sticking out of the floor, one 3.5in, two 2in and a stack about 8 feet away. The largest of the three is the toilet and I assume the other two are the sink and shower. However, how can I determine if these were vented when installed?

Default Re: Basement Plumbing

Hello, Hard to see without a photo and layout. If done properly there will be one of the vents(2" or 3")rising up and back venting into a stack vent going through the roof. If not you have to run one of those lines as a vent. Going above the highest fixture and back venting into a vent. If you tie a vent into the waste stack that is coming down from above you will have a "wet vent" and then waste can back up into the basement shower, tub or sink. Be careful, check it out in detail before doing anything. hope this helps.GregC
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

Default Re: Basement Plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Hello, Hard to see without a photo and layout. If done properly there will be one of the vents(2" or 3")rising up and back venting into a stack vent going through the roof. If not you have to run one of those lines as a vent. Going above the highest fixture and back venting into a vent. If you tie a vent into the waste stack that is coming down from above you will have a "wet vent" and then waste can back up into the basement shower, tub or sink. Be careful, check it out in detail before doing anything. hope this helps.GregC
    If you tie a vent into a drain you don't have a wet vent you have a code violation! Vents can only be connected to other vents period. A wet vent is both a drain and a vent.
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content