+ Reply to Thread

Default Expansion Tank Do we or Don't we

I have a post below regarding a random noise in our pipes - challenge. We finally got the townhouse next to us to turn their water off for 24 hours (the house is vacant). However, just in case we still hear the noise - can anyone describe to me what the sound would be like indicating we would need an expansion tank on our Water heater would sound like?

Default Re: Expansion Tank Do we or Don't we

Quote Originally Posted by carrie8327@aol.com View Post
    I have a post below regarding a random noise in our pipes - challenge. We finally got the townhouse next to us to turn their water off for 24 hours (the house is vacant). However, just in case we still hear the noise - can anyone describe to me what the sound would be like indicating we would need an expansion tank on our Water heater would sound like?
    A noisy water heater will not be quieted by installing an expansion tank.

If the noise comes back with neighbor's water off, and you confirm that the noise is from your WH, the WH is likely coated with hard water deposits inside the tank.

However, your earlier posts said that the noise continued even when your WH was not heating, so you probably won't hear any WH noise due to hard water scaling.