+ Reply to Thread

Default fire rated batt insullation obtain it?

Howdy have balloon framed 2.5 story home need to install fire rated fire block insulation at the junctions of floors and have seen it on tv shows like homes on homes but not able to locate a place to buy it in USA. any idea between Oregon and Nebraska? The idea of using it because some walls are 1' wide double wall so filling the foot space is quite the challenge otherwise..

Default Re: fire rated batt insullation obtain it?

I'd ask your building department what they will accept as fire blocking in your case. 2x wood works in a standard wall.

Howdy ED21, good suggestion. the wall i need to fire block is 1 foot wide separated in construction of 2 2by6" stud walls and 105 year old 9 by 9' pocket doors and no sill plates. But great news i found the product. It is rock wool made by Roxul - Stone wool insulation would be the proper name. Also called AFB (acoustic fire batt). Contacted Rolux and no venders( per their web page) west of Chicago but can get it shipped. It is also an acoustic product used for noise control. Has a 2 hour fire rating too.

Howdy JKIRK
    I wish it was available here in southern Oregon but so far no luck or in Nebraska. Looks like it is in the eastern part of the country.

Timothy try these folks for rockwool ....... http://oikos.com/green_products/comp...ompany_id=2847
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Another mineral wool product is Therma Fiber