+ Reply to Thread

Default HELP: how to paint tearing window frames

I read some articles about "how to paint window frame" and "how to paint a room". None of them explain whether it's okay to paint over existing paint.

Currently my wooden window frame looks like it's taken a beaten. There are areas/patches where it appears to be moisture damage. Am not sure whether the paint is crisping/cracking away... or whether those black areas are mold /mildew (from trapped moisture). Anyway I like to sort it out. Would I need to scrap away the existing cracked/crispy white paint? Then apply some mildew/mold resistant application? Then paint using mildew/mold/water-proof paint (like bath paint)? Would that do the trick?

Default Re: HELP: how to paint tearing window frames

Andwano,

Of course it OK to paint over paint, but sometimes that paint needs a good preparation. You want to sc**** and sand down any loose or "crispy" areas. After it is smooth, I would then use a little clorine bleach to treat those mildew areas. If it is indeed mildew, it will rapidly lighten and often turn a yellowish color. Use the bleach deluted 3 to 1 with water. Rinse the area and let it dry out throughly. Also, any cracks could be filled with spackling compound or wood filler. I would use the filler after getting rid of the mildew,

I personally would go over the entire window with an alkyd oil enamel undercoater. Undercoater gives a nice build and will help hide minor imperfections. It will also make a good base for the top coat. I still prefer oil enamel on fine woodwork. A lower sheen paint will help hide some of the minor imperfections too.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Andwano,

Of course it OK to paint over paint, but sometimes that paint needs a good preparation. You want to sc**** and sand down any loose or "crispy" areas. After it is smooth, I would then use a little clorine bleach to treat those mildew areas. If it is indeed mildew, it will rapidly lighten and often turn a yellowish color. Use the bleach deluted 3 to 1 with water. Rinse the area and let it dry out throughly. Also, any cracks could be filled with spackling compound or wood filler. I would use the filler after getting rid of the mildew,

I personally would go over the entire window with an alkyd oil enamel undercoater. Undercoater gives a nice build and will help hide minor imperfections. It will also make a good base for the top coat. I still prefer oil enamel on fine woodwork. A lower sheen paint will help hide some of the minor imperfections too.
    Thank you ordjen for your speedy reply. I am based in the UK. Do you think Alkyd Oil Enamel Undercoater is available here? Also, this is regarding interior work?

Andwano,

I am not familiar with what is available in Great Britain. Oil paints' days are numbered here in the US due to ever more stringent environmental concerns.

The process of preparing wood is quite similar whether interior or exterior. There are exterior primers and house paints ,however.