+ Reply to Thread

Question Laminate flooring vs. wood flooring

Recently purchased a home with plywood sheeting under carpet. I am wanting to replace the carpet on the ground floor with either laminate floors or traditional wood. I have heard ups and downs to both choices (laminate is more durable, can't/don't need to refinish a laminate floor,wood gives a "richer" look, laminate is cheaper). I can't seem to decide which way to go. Cost is a big factor, but not so much so that I would base my decision solely on that. We do have pets which I have heard can wreak havoc on a real wood floor but not so much a good laminate floor. I want something that will look good for years to come and add value to the house as well.

You can see where I'm at, here...please help me make an educated decision.

Default Re: Laminate flooring vs. wood flooring

You are right laminate looks cheap, wood is better looking. It is a personal choice. I used a wood oak floor made by Bruce that is wood about a half inch thick. It was pre-finished.I have been told it is able to be sanded probaly two times.Found at a big box store near you I am sure. Traditional wood floors need to be sanded and then finished and are 3/4" thick
    Harry

You can never go wrong with real hardwood floors unless you are putting them over a concrete floor. Pre finished wood floor have about 10 coats of baked on finish which in general depending on the traffic will last 10 years or better, so these floor will last the life of the house. You can get a pre- engineered hardwood flooring that will allow you to sand down the road but what if a section of the floor gets damaged ( will you still be able to get this product...your guess is as good as mine.) Yes it can be sanded but you have to be careful not to sand to much. Hardwood flooring has its standards and is always easy to repair.

Smile Re: Laminate flooring vs. wood flooring

I had the same dilemma a year ago in my kitchen. I love real wood but I was not wanting wood in my kitchen due to water etc. I went with a laminate called metrofloor the reason being it is put down just like wood in planks. So if there is any damage to the floor, you just pull up a plank and replace. It also has a lifetime warranty so they will come and fix anything on it. I also was worried about a cheap look. This stuff looks like real wood, they also have a huge selection of plank sizes and woods exotic and standard. I looked and compared it all and this was the best alternative to wood I found for water areas where you might not want to deal with wood.
    Last edited by tuesdaynext; 05-16-2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: misspelling

Smile Re: Laminate flooring vs. wood flooring

I had the same dilemma a year ago in my kitchen. I love real wood but I was not wanting wood in my kitchen due to water etc. I went with a laminate called metrofloor the reason being it is put down just like wood in planks. So if there is any damage to the floor, you just pull up a plank and replace. It also has a lifetime warranty so they will come and fix anything on it. I also was worried about a cheap look. This stuff looks like real wood, they also have a huge selection of plank sizes and woods exotic and standard. I looked and compared it all and this was the best alternative to wood I found for water areas where you might not want to deal with wood.

Let's reduce this to a cost/improvement analysis to excercise the left brain - the one that matters when it comes to resale.

Is your house generally in the upper half or the lower half of the homes in your community? i.e. If you were in Manhattan, would you live in Central Park West or Harlem?

Most likely you are somewhere close to the middle - that was an extreme example. But if your neighborhood is nicer than most in your town, I would go real wood. If its a little less nice than most neighborhoods, like there are alot of "starter homes," then I would do laminate.