+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drywall

Default Drywall

Hubby and I have been renovating our upstairs of our home. When it came time to put drywall on the ceiling I noticed he decided to put 3/8 instead of 5/8! He did most of the work himself and figured that 5/8 was too heavy for him to do alone. We ripped out all the lath and plaster so it's not going over anything. My question is when we put insulation back up in the attic will it cave the ceiling in? The joist are 24in on center and he already put it up...so its not like we can just take it back! What do I do? I'm freaking out here!

Default Re: Drywall

Mght not cave in but I'm sure it will bow in a couple years.

put drywall on the ceiling I noticed he decided to put 3/8 instead of 5/8!

The joist are 24in on center and he already put it up
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news .....

That 3/8 drywall is too thin for ceilings .... especially at 24 inch center span.
    Unless there was strapping in place .... 1 foot on center ....attached perpendicular to the joists ..... you might get away with it.

The 5/8 should have been used or there is 1/2 ceiling rated drywall that is formulated to be more dense.

What you are likely to have is an undesirable ceiling that will sag at the spacing between joists..... especially once the insulation is in place.

Another common oversite is using regular 1/2 inch on ceilings which will also sag.

Just a thought.

The good news is that the 3/8" can be overlayed, there's no need to go to the time and trouble and mess to remove it before installing 5/8. And yes, 5/8 is heavy, particularly if trying to hang it by yourself - that's what a sheetrock jack is made for and you'll find one and nearly any rental yard.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

So what should I do...take it down and start all over? Or do have another option? Could I go over it with another layer of 3/8...or would that not be a good idea?