+ Reply to Thread

Default Replace/repair sagging/cracked garage ceiling joists

I have a house built in the early 1960's where the previous homeowners neglected the garage completely. The garage is approximately 22x22 and has 5 ceiling joists running front to back that have either cracked or sag between 1.5 and 4 inches. On top of those I have 2 running joists running right to left. The garage is unfinished and many studs were bad so I have already sistered new boards to all of the existing studs or removed the ones that had serious damage, but now I need to tackle the ceiling joists.

Originally I was planning on sistering the new joists to prevent further movement, but in for a penny in for a pound so I thought I would install all new joists and remove the old ones. Unfortunately when I went to put the new joists in b/c of the sag and the right to left braces I am unable to get the boards into position. When I lived up north we had jacks that supported our floor joists in the basement.

Question?
    Would using a jack like this be an acceptable way to raise my existing joists so I could get the new ones in place?

What would be the best method off attaching the new joists? Standard nailing or lag bolts?

Since I live in a hurricane area I would prefer over do it rather than under do it since my breaker box is in the garage and runs thru the uncovered breezeway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Replace/repair sagging/cracked garage ceiling joists

Yes, you can use jack posts to level the joists. With that much of a sag you will want to do it slowly. With only 5 joists I would sister them with " steel plate the same width as the joists and drilled so they can be nailed every 16" top and bottom.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Replace/repair sagging/cracked garage ceiling joists

Howdy, consider adding a header in the middle of the garage from side to side perpendicular to the joists. Addind this beam and jacking it up to remove the sag also shortens the load span by 1/2. I would use a glue lamb beam and install it on 4.5" of studs in the outside wall cavities. Only draw back would be if your garage ceiling has little head room.