+ Reply to Thread

Default advise with installing windows in my shed, needed

I would like to install non opening windows on the ends, and near the roof, of my shed/shop, in order to bring much needed daylight into the work area inside. I am seeing in my mind one window on either side of the ridge beam.
    I am thinking 1/4 inch thick Plexiglas or something similar would work fine...but i am not 100% confident.
    I have included some image of the area I am talking about.

I am hoping to learn from you fellow members, how i would anchor the windows and how i would seal out rain?
    And is Plexiglas what i should use,? to keep costs low.?

I am thinking I would cut the Plexiglas in a long triangle , to match the roof line, would this be good?
    Thanks! I await your replies.
    5/06/08
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_4383.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	1056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_4381.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	1057  

Default Re: advise with installing windows in my shed, needed

Personally, I think you would have more light, better security, and less chance of leaks if you installed a storm door and left the solid door open when your in the shop. Plus I don't think it would cost as much as the material for the plexiglass window.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Skylights might be easier and provide more light if your also extending the eave overhang. There are some bubble type and venting type if you don't want to open them and want to get maximum light into the work area.

the small crank out windows used in trailors do not require and framing I would maybe use them.
    Harry

If you want a window youd be better off buying a proper window and making sure it is installed properly. But if all you really want is light then Id go with one of those solar tubes you install through the roof. They bring is a surprising amount of light. Again, make sure it is properly installed.

I also believe you would have extra brightness, improved security, and less possibility of seep out if you installed a storm door and left the hard door open when your in the shop. Good thing I don't think it would price as much as the material for the Plexiglas window.
    hotel developer Hidden Content is the ceo and founder of the impulsive group.

I just finished this exact project. I was advised to use real glass as it won't cloud up in the sun like plastic. I used 1/8" glass panels 20x20 that cost $12.00. I framed the window between the existing studs, with one 2x4 top and bottom, leave 1/4" or so for adjustment and ease of installation. I then put shoe molding around the outside edge to hold the glass from falling out. I went around the molding with tub adhesive caulk, then put the glass panel in. Put more caulk and shoe molding around the inside to frame in the glass. Next time though, I will use 1/4 round to have more room to nail the 1 1/4" brads into. It's just beautiful and like daylight in there now.