+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Heat from Recessed Lights

I recently installed new-work IC-rated recessed cans in the un-insulated 2x8-framed ceiling of my basement. I noticed that the hardwood floors in the rooms above are hot in the areas over each light fixture. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
    Last edited by fixprops; 05-06-2008 at 09:46 PM.

Default Re: Heat from Recessed Lights

Quote Originally Posted by fixprops View Post
    I recently installed new-work IC-rated recessed cans in the un-insulated 2x8-framed ceiling of my basement. I noticed that the hardwood floors in the rooms above are hot in the areas over each light fixture. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

I assume they are new light and have the thermal cut out in the fixtures. The thermal cut outs are designed to keep the fixture from overheating and causing a fire. I would make sure you have the correct lamp size in your fixture(found inside the light housing can where the lamp is inserted). Then I would remove the trim from your light. Take a hair dryer and and direct the heat to the thermal cut out inside the can. When it is overheated the light will go off.Now you know it is working. When it cools down it will come back on. by you using 2x8 ceiling joist there is not much room and I assume that is why it gets warm. If there is no thermal cut out in the fixture I would have it replaced.
    Harry

Default Re: Heat above from Recessed Lights below

I'm worried about a potential similar issue. I plan on doing pot lights in the basement with hardwood above. I have both an insulated and non-insulated recessed lighting option, and i'm considering paying more for the insulated to prevent any issues.

The other factor would be, I may put some sound insulation in the basement ceiling. Does this now require me to put insulated recessed lights (pot lights) in, or could i get away with non-insulated pots? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Heat above from Recessed Lights below

Cree makes some really cool, dimmable LED lights for cans. You can find them at Home Burrito and Lowes. They run about $39 for the 6" can and includes the trim along with the bulb. The LEDs will put out very little heat, if any, and will ast you 28 years or so.