+ Reply to Thread

Default Steps to reinstall antique doorframe

Hi,

I need help re-installing an antique doorframe, standard pine frame from a vintage 1900 3 family.

It's got (sorry, I don't know the actual names of the pieces)

4 small rectangles (approx. 3''w x 6" tall) that rest on the floor on either side of the doorway

4 decorative 'panels' (approx 3" w x 7' tall) that rest on the small rectangles on the outside of each doorway (that cover the frame itself)

2 decorative top panels that cover the frame

1 'male' side of the doorframe

1 'female' side of the doorframe

1 'header' for the doorframe

Can anyone tell me the 'correct' way to install this? (and what size nails to use?). The last time I did one, I couldn't get the decorative panels tight on the wall.

Thanks!

Jen

Default Re: Steps to reinstall antique doorframe

Quote Originally Posted by navi_jen View Post
    Hi,

I need help re-installing an antique door frame, standard pine frame from a vintage 1900 3 family.

It's got (sorry, I don't know the actual names of the pieces)

4 small rectangles (approx. 3''w x 6" tall) that rest on the floor on either side of the doorway

4 decorative 'panels' (approx 3" w x 7' tall) that rest on the small rectangles on the outside of each doorway (that cover the frame itself)

2 decorative top panels that cover the frame

1 'male' side of the door frame

1 'female' side of the door frame

1 'header' for the door frame

Can anyone tell me the 'correct' way to install this? (and what size nails to use?). The last time I did one, I couldn't get the decorative panels tight on the wall.

Thanks!

Jen
    First measure the thickness of your finished wall, if the frame is wider than the thickness you will need to cut the frame members down if it is thinner than the thickness you will need to build it up with spacer strips. Attach the top piece to the two side pieces and lay the assemble flat on the floor, make sure the corners are square (90 degrees to each other). It is helpful to add a board across the bottom two side peces to help hold them in position. Tack on one of the "top panels" leaving about 1/8" reveal then install a right and left "side panels" leveling the same reveal. Adjust until you get a good corner fit and nail in place with finishing nails and counter sink to be able to add filler. . Now stand the unit up and slide it into the door opening until the trim is against the wall. Check to see if the top piece is level, if not shim the low side until it is level. Check the hinge side to make sure it is plum and shim as necessary and nail it to the studs, then check the other side and shim until plum and attach to the studs. Shim and attach the top piece as before. Now the base blocks can be installed on this side. Then install the trim on the other side.
    Hope that helps.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb