+ Reply to Thread

Question Where to start with this porch

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and restoration work, but I do have some construction experience. I am interested in restoring this porch, unfortunately I cannot do everything at once so I would like some ideas on where to start. I was thinking of getting the supports below the flooring secure first. Is that a good plan? After that I was going to recover the roof as it is in bad condition. I think the columns are in good condition and will hold for now. Any info will be appreciated, thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	410 king.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	1052
    Last edited by 1880Beauty; 05-06-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Default Re: Where to start with this porch

are you going to replace the columns in time? you should start with the ground and shore up and replace whats needed. you can make some temporary supports to hold the roof while you do this.

if I were you, I would save up enough money to redo the floor and columns and roof supports all at one time. get the structual stuff out of the way. then spend time later doing the finishing trim etc.

if you are not sure about supporting the roof and removing the columns with temp supports.... then hire someone experienced to do this for you..... and that is not the lowest bidder.