+ Reply to Thread

Question Any possibilities of changing table stain color and finish?

My husband is a carpenter and decided to make me a decorative table that I have been collecting magazine pictures of. The only problem is that he stained and finished the table without checking to see how it looks in our house. I happen to think it clashes with the other wood stain colors of the trim board and wood floor in our house near where the table will sit.

What are my options for changing the color? How difficult is it to change the color of stain after the finish is already applied?

Question Re: Any possibilities of changing table stain color and finish?

Hi - I don't have an answer for rachD. I am in the same situation; I want to change the existing stain color on a consignment table I bought. It has a butcher block style solid oak top that I would like to stain black. I don't think the table has ever had varnish , shellac, or polyurethane applied to it. Perhaps over the years it has had wax, oil, or polish. I need to know how to prepare the wood for new stain. Help!

Default Re: Any possibilities of changing table stain color and finish?

If the stain is darker than you like you may have problems. You may want to consider stripping the pice just as if it were completly finished, Allow everything to dry at least 24 hours before putting a sanding sealer. Allow the sanding sealer (I use the water based ones), Let it dry no more than an hour for the water based ones, lightly buff with fine or extra fine steel wool then put a stain on let it dry for at least 24 hours then go with a satin or semi-gloss polly. and allow this to drey it is difficult to do this indoors so make sure you have a well ventelated room and that the temperature is around the mid 70's. It is important to keep all stains and varnish fumes away from open flame. This is how I usually work but you may get some advice on doing it different. Make sure you protect your hands and eyes during this messy process.

Wink Re: Any possibilities of changing table stain color and finish?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmahan View Post
    If the stain is darker than you like you may have problems. You may want to consider stripping the pice just as if it were completly finished, Allow everything to dry at least 24 hours before putting a sanding sealer. Allow the sanding sealer (I use the water based ones), Let it dry no more than an hour for the water based ones, lightly buff with fine or extra fine steel wool then put a stain on let it dry for at least 24 hours then go with a satin or semi-gloss polly. and allow this to drey it is difficult to do this indoors so make sure you have a well ventelated room and that the temperature is around the mid 70's. It is important to keep all stains and varnish fumes away from open flame. This is how I usually work but you may get some advice on doing it different. Make sure you protect your hands and eyes during this messy process.
    Thank you jamesmahan, you awesome dude. I'll add to the thread with a post-mortem on my results.

Default Re: Any possibilities of changing table stain color and finish?

Thank you so much. I admire those who either were taught these things by a parent or mentor, or have the guts to just go for it and be damned the consequences. pb