+ Reply to Thread

Default Drop in tubs Foam Base

Wondering if anyone has put in a drop in tub with a expandable foam base or if everyone is staying with the mortar base. I have heard the foam base is easier and helps insulate the tub and keep it warm and in the long run is easier to replace the tub or take it out if you ever have to. Need some input also on what kind of expandable foam is there a kind that is stronger than others.

Default Re: Drop in tubs Foam Base

No Ideas on this. I plan on installing the tub soon I might just go with the mortar base and be safe. Sure is alot of added weight on my second story floor that I dont think I need. IF you have suggestions let me know I still have a few days before I plan on installing. THanks DR

well I can say when we repair a fiberglass tub that sags, we foam under it. We just use the expanding foam you can buy at home depot. It works well, but on a new install, use morter. If you want to keep the heat in for a good soak? put in cast iron tub, fiberglass will never hold the heat even with foam under it.
    www.resurfacespe******t.com

Quote Originally Posted by davidroddis View Post
    Wondering if anyone has put in a drop in tub with a expandable foam base or if everyone is staying with the mortar base. I have heard the foam base is easier and helps insulate the tub and keep it warm and in the long run is easier to replace the tub or take it out if you ever have to. Need some input also on what kind of expandable foam is there a kind that is stronger than others.
    yes it works and personally wouldn't bother with motar --- tip --- put weight in the tub to keep it in place while the foam sets.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush