+ Reply to Thread

Default Subfloor Removal Advice Needed

Hello,

Decided to install hardwood and was told the particle board subfloor had to be replaced with plywood.

The subfloor obviously runs beneath the walls and I was wondering how close to the walls I should cut to remove the subflooring and with what tool? If you leave 3-4 inches of PB around the perimeter of the room wont that pose a risk of the hardwood lifting in those areas? I was thinking of just dropping plywood over the PB but would cause a transition problem with the hallway.

I have attached a picture of the subfloor as I dont understand this construction technique and I was hoping someone might know. My guess is it's an expansion joint but I have never seen this used before in a house.

The builders left a 1 inch gap between 1 row of PB sheets and toenailed in a 1x2 into the gap. This runs the entire length of the room. In the photo I chipped away some of the leveler to see what was beneath.

The framers then proceeded to literally dump in floor leveler to conceal the gap but ended up making a small speedbump under the carpet.

Any ideas and if so should I copy this with the ply?

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to get as much info as I can without asking too many questions.

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subfloor.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	1049  

Default Re: Subfloor Removal Advice Needed

Thanks jkirk for your advice.

I always appreciate those who spend the time to share their knowledge.

I will give it a go this weekend.

Also .... if you want to ensure that you don't have any future squeaky floors use construction adesive and screws ( not drywall screws) to fasten down the new subflooring .... or at least make sure to ring shank nails.

install blocking around the perimeter of the room in each joist spacing, this is because all edges of the panels must be supported to ensure proper performance. if you do not install blocking the panels will sag between joists
    yep..... good call.

if the subfloor is glued down, what is the easiest way to get it up?

If you want to save some work, try your locale tool rental and see if they have a flush cutting circular saw also called a jamb saw or undercut saw, (here's ann example http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7924_200227924 )that way you can cut the OSB right at the baseboard. If the OSB is glued down you should be able to pry it up but it will leave pieses on the joists that will have to be sc****d off.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb