+ Reply to Thread

Default Flooring for bathroom...?

I just bought my first home and its great. The previous owners did some odd things that I will spend my first couple of years fixing. First of which is the bathroom floors. There is currently vinyl tile over a wood floor. The vinyl is horrible. It bulges over the places where the wood is not even. My question is what is the best material to put over the wood floor...or is there a way to waterproof the wood floor so it can stand on its own? I love the natural wood look, I'm just not sure if it can be in the bathroom or not.

Default Re: Flooring for bathroom...?

We've had wood a wood floor in our bath room for over 25 years. The wood floor in the kitchen have been there for over 150 years.

It does require some maintenance. Mop up water don't let it lay. Dry off in the shower then step out to cut down on water dripping. Watch for leaks around toilet, sinks, bath,etc. and repair immediately. Finish floor with a very good oil based floor poly.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I was going to post that it's not a good idea to have wood floors in the bathroom and to remove it...but JLMCDANIEL has had long-term success with it. I guess if you are meticulous and really careful, it could work. I would like to add that if you have kids in the house, you may in fact want to go with another floor type such as tile.

I too have had wood floors in kitchens and 1/2 bathrooms without problems. As Jack said, you have to use a little more care in your day to day life, and I wouldn't recommend it if you've got kids, but other than that, we loved our floors and so have the folks I've known that have had them as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

As with others, wood has issues with swelling if exposed to water which can cause cupping or splitting. If you make sure to maintain it well then you shouldn't have any serious issues. Just make sure to use floor rugs to prevent dripping on it and also make absolutely sure that you use your vent fan in the bathroom when you take a shower or bath. Moisture in the air will be almost as bad as standing water.

Now I wish I could just get my wife to understand that (which is why when we sell our town house in the next year I have to replace the light fixture because of rust since she refuses to turn on the darned vent fan when she showers. Makes it too cold...bah!).

I do love marble floors in bathrooms. Just finished putting one in my son's bathroom. Now I just have to finish reassembling the rest of the bathroom. *sigh*
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I too have had wood floors in kitchens and 1/2 bathrooms without problems. As Jack said, you have to use a little more care in your day to day life, and I wouldn't recommend it if you've got kids, but other than that, we loved our floors and so have the folks I've known that have had them as well.
    In 1/2 baths sure but personally I wouldn't in a full bath.

The 2 areas not recommended by the wood flooring council ....

below grade

full bathrooms

As Jack pointed out it can be done but there is a fair amount of high maintanence or considerations required ---- probably far more than most folks are prepared to do.

Also in most cases it's likely prefinished floors would be used and I doubt the manufacturers warranty would cover water damage to the finish or to the wood itself when used in a full bathroom.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for the replies everybody. I don't have kids but I don't want a high maintenance floor either so it sounds like tile is in. If I have to lay a subfloor...I would need to extend the flange underneath of the toilet right? And if I am going ot go through that trouble...it sounds like real stone tile would work better than vinyl. What are your thoughts? Would stone be better, or vinyl tile? I would think stone would be more waterproof, but isn't there more maintenance involved?

Vynl/lenoleum is completely waterproof, stone tile is not (though porcelin is).

How old is the house? I'd assume you have 1/2" plywood subfloor underneath of the wood floor. Just remove the woodfloor, lay hardibacker or similar product (cement board) over the subfloor screwing it down (well), thinset and tile over that and grout. You can use a water proof membrane between the cement board and the tile if you are particularly concerned about moisture, but it generally isn't an issue except on the walls of a shower (which I would deffinitely use a waterproof membrane on).

You need a special circular saw blade to cut cement board as it will eat a regular blade.