+ Reply to Thread

Default Upgrade Electric--100 or 200 amp service?

Hi,

I own a 1st floor condo in Boston. Of course, it's a 100 year old triple decker with 60 amp fuses. I'd like to upgrade to circuit breakers so that I can have air con and my hairdryer on at the same time! I'm pretty sure there is 200 amp service running from the street into the basement (I belive the panel for the 2nd floor is 200amps). So, hopefully, the TOH brain trust can help answer my questions???

1-What 'size' service do I need? It's an 1100sq ft condo, window air-con (2), standard kitchen. Currently, no washer/dryer, with no plans to add same to condo in near future.

2-Does 100 amp service have less 'resale value'?

3-What might I expect this upgrade to cost?

4-I'm considering rewiring a couple of rooms at the same time, what might that add to the cost? Rooms are:

4a-Kitchen, which is 10x10 on the opposite end of the house from the panel. No fancy appliances (gas stove), 2 overhead lights.

4b-Bath: Vanity Lights, Overhead light (with fan), 1 GFCI outlet

4c-Bedroom (10x10): 1 overhead light, and add a light switch on opposite wall from current switch.

I know I need to get actual estimates...but I just want a price range for my mental budget.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Jen

Default Re: Upgrade Electric--100 or 200 amp service?

Go with the 200 amp upgrade . It'll help with the resale value down the road . The price difference shouldn't be prohibitive , but material and labor costs vary by region and it's hard to give you a cost estimate that would be accurate .

Jen, Djohns is right the only thing different in the material in the job between a 100 amp service and 200 is the panel box and wire sizes that feed the new panel. Most of the cost is labor to install. Size could be a issue as the 200 amp box is taller. There is also a 150 amp panel that is a option.
    Just keep in mind that increasing the service size will not fix all your problems unless some other wiring is done. Your hair dyer will still trip if you only do the service upgrade. Talk to a electrician and tell him what problems you have and would like to see rectified with the service upgrade.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Go with the 200 amp upgrade . It'll help with the resale value down the road . The price difference shouldn't be prohibitive , but material and labor costs vary by region and it's hard to give you a cost estimate that would be accurate .
    I agree with the gentleman from the deep south

Also keep in mind that the power company may have to upgrade your service wire and possibly the transformer too . Have them come out and evaluate what you have now .

Thanks all...keep 'em comin!

Regards

Jen