+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement shower back up

Everytime it rains, water comes up through my basement shower. It doesn't come into my washer and my toilet doesn't overflow. We do get pools of water in my back yard as drainage is poor... We do have a septic tank. Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem or might you tell me who I would call to fix this problem? Plumber? Thanks for your help.

Barb

Default Re: Basement shower back up

Quote Originally Posted by nytngirl View Post
    Everytime it rains, water comes up through my basement shower. It doesn't come into my washer and my toilet doesn't overflow. We do get pools of water in my back yard as drainage is poor... We do have a septic tank. Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem or might you tell me who I would call to fix this problem? Plumber? Thanks for your help.

Barb
    Yep --- a plumber would be in order.
    Hard to say what the issue is --- chances are the shower is the path of least resistance for the backup. It may be plumbed into the main drain after the toilet which make it the first path of back flow. It likely wouldn't come back up the washer drain stand pipe since it's quite a bit higher offering more resistance to back flow.
    Perhaps the septic system is over loaded from the rains.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Basement shower back up

Thanks Sam. I had the septic tank pumped about 4-6 months ago. I'd hate to think it's full again... I'll contact a plumber! Thanks