+ Reply to Thread

Question Striped ceilings and walls! What is it?

I have been granted "custody of the marital residence", along with a multitude of problems , one of which is striped ceilings and walls. This split entry house was built in the late '70s and had no ventilation in the upper crawlspace until a ridge vent was installed in the late '90s. The walls and ceilings are drywalled, and have gray vertical stripes over every stud on the outer walls, along with gray dots showing where the drywall nails/screws are located. These scary stripes show the rafters on all of the ceilings as well. There are also some gray splotches in some areas on the ceiling in some of the rooms and above the heat registers (gas forced air). Several painters told me that this is caused by burning too many scented candles, but a building contractor and another painter told me it is from moisture/humidity up in the crawlspace and under the aluminum siding. I was able to remove a small area on one of the splotches with Greased Lightning. How can I be sure what is causing this and why is it only over the studs of the outer walls and the rafters--nothing on adjoining interior walls? Will I have to wage war on the stripes with gallons of Greased Lightning before painting, fix a moisture problem, or will Kilz hold these stripes at bay if they are indeed candle soot?

Default Re: Striped ceilings and walls! What is it?

I would bet it's both. You're going to have to wash everything before you put kilz on it any way so good luck.
    Debby in Oklahoma

The stripes are from thermal bridging along with humid air inside and the candles. The studs on the outside walls and the ceiling rafters conduct cold in the winter time to the drywall. The warmer humid air condenses more at the stud & rafter locations than in between where there is insulation. The small amount of condensation will trap the soot from the burning candles quicker than the area between the studs.

As mentioned, you should clean the walls before priming and painting.

To keep this from happening, lower the indoor humidity or install a thermal break on the studs / rafters. In the attic space, you could add insulation over the rafters for the thermal break. The walls would be much tougher to add the thermal break to.

I agree with bp21901.

These "ghost marks" can often be resolved by adding more insulation---depending on the climate and time of year, they often go away by themselves, especially during warmer months.

Candles should not be used & smokers should smoke outside.

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/house/dynami...=ghost%20marks
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 05-04-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Wink Re: Striped ceilings and walls! What is it?

Adding the thermal break or more insulation makes sense to me, too. Any volunteers to go up into my dark, creepy crawlspace?? You can't pay me enough to go up there! I have drastically reduced my candle burning. Who decided that our homes have to be scented anyway!?