+ Reply to Thread

Default refinishing marble/faux marble countertop

I have a 30-ish year old bathroom countertop that is either marble or faux marble. It is beige with white marbling, but has purple and orange stains that look like they could have been hair dye on it. Some of the finish is worn, as though someone tried to buff the stains out. What, if anything, can I use to remove the stains and get back the semi-luster the vanity top should have? Barring that, can I use some product/finish technique to cover the stained counter top? I've seen the new four-step product at Lowe's, but it looks like the same product used to finish garage floors, with the speckling!
    Last edited by blessedwithwords; 01-17-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: revised, added wording

Default Re: refinishing marble/faux marble countertop

if the top, the sink, and the backsplash are all one piece then it isn't real marble. you would have to contact someone who does that kind of counter top to repair it, or probally just about as cheap to replace it. if it is real marble and it has been stained with dyes then there probally isn't a whole lot of hope for getting the stains out. you would have to contact someone in the stone countertop business in your area and they could try a few different poultices, they may be able to lighten them but probally can't make them go away.

The first step is to determine if it is real marble. If so, it really has good value and I would agree that you should consider hiring a professional to re-finish it for you. It a skilled repair and if you want it to look it's best, a diy may not work here.
    _________
    Networx.com
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.

hello, I agree. I did a smoke damage fire Restoration job some time ago and the customer had high dollar marble around his fireplace and I found a spe******t in that and he came in and made the marble like new again! It wasn't cheap but it was amazing what he did with the correct materials. Be sure in what you do before doing it. Hope to help.GregC
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content