+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Subfloor repair question

Hello,

We have a problem with a subfloor in a bathroom. The builder tiled the bathroom, but did NOT use backerboard, and we had a leaky toilet which made the subfloor moldy and it bulked up.

The toilet is next to the bathtub. The damage is till close of the bathtub. The toilet is located between 2 I joists, and there is a third I joist under the tub. We need to remove a part of floor and cut between the toilet and tub... But we don't want to lift the tub out really... Does sistering give enough support for the piece of flooring?

Kind regards,

Maurice

Default Re: Subfloor repair question

Hello, Absolutely! This is the only way sometimes. Sandwich joists as needed and nail the heck out of them! This is more than enough!You can also head it off in and around areas if needed. Hope you understand.GregC
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

The house was a foreclosure (in really good shape really) but they used frost protection liquid to make the pipes not freeze - but I suspect that affected the wax seal... ;-(
    Then on top of that, the builder tiled on plywood ;-( instead of backer board, or any other more suitable substrate.

jkirk, did something in the industry chance with durock, its always been used on floors from what Ive seen.

Yrs ago the first concrete board I remember was Wonder Board. Ceramic tile on 3/4 ply with the joist 16" oc would crack. Then the engeneers decided go to 12"oc. That didnt work either so Wonder Board was the answer...

http://www.usg.com/USG_Marketing_Con...tion_Guide.pdf
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gizmo --- from my recolection backer boards were to replace the old mortar and mesh system.
    Tile over plywood can be a suitable system considering the modified mortars and additives available.

Floor structures --- unless spec'd --- are rarely suitable for tile without some modification.
    With 12 inch centers joists are typical for tile spec'd floors and 16 inch centers can be used depending on span.

Besides i believe uncoupling membranes are a good idea for a substrate.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I remember the mesh morter they used for tile. Man those installer's got old pretty quick. Most of them couldnt walk very well when they hit 40 yrs old....
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content