+ Reply to Thread

Default hot water in tub

My main bathroom tub does not fill with hot water....but the shower stall opposite it (in our bedroom, but sharing the same wet wall) gets plenty of piping hot water. I am not a plumber in any sense of the word, so I am not sure what is going on. My suspicion is that there is some sort of safety feature on our bathtub faucet (Moen) which prevents the water from getting scalding hot. This seems to make sense as the presumed users of the tub would be children.

To compound the problem, we bought our house 6 months ago and the bathrooms are professionally remodeled---meaning that I am reluctant to tinker around/take anything apart unless I know what I am looking for.

Does any of this make sense?

Senor

Default Re: hot water in tub

It is possible that the valve has an anti-scald device installed on it. If that is the case, generally, this is a ring over a "gear" style or a "tab" lock which basically limits the travel of the valve on the hot side. This device is located under the handle.

I would recommend Googling your brand/model of valve and get the owners manual from the manufacturer. The manual will give you the specifics you need to adjust the temperature. Usually it's as simple as removing the handle and adjusting the stop in one direction or the other, then reinstalling the handle.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks! I'll get on it and tell you what I find...

Got it! Thanks.

The water is hotter than before (the nob moves to '9' (on a clock face) rather than '10' previously. It is still a bit cooler than I would like, but since I have a 5 year old, maybe that is a good thing!

This site is great!

Congratulations.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!