+ Reply to Thread

Thread: banging pipes

Question banging pipes

i have a problem with water pipes. when i first bought the house i had no problems at all. last year i had a grass planted in my backyard and a sprinkler system installed. after the first couple of uses everything was okay, but after a few weeks the pipes started banging. when the toilet was flushed, a faucet was cloesd and the washer was used. i tried instaling water arrestors in the ones that had the loudest noise, did not work. this winter when i went to shut of the sprinkler for the winter, the banging went away. i asume that the sprinklers are letting air into the water system. do you have any advise that may help me, thanks very much.

Default Re: banging pipes

Hello, This is sometimes a common problem. How about trying to install a "water hammer" in the cold line to the sprinklers with an auto air vent installed. This will eleviate the hammering of the pipes and allow any air to escape through the air vent. Check with local building/plumbing supply. They will guide you to right direct. Hard to diagnose problem with out seeing and hearing personally.Hope this helps.GregC
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

I have a hard time imagining any way that air can enter the lines from the sprinkler system. Any time a valve is open that might allow the entry of air, wouldn't pressurized water flow out that valve or opening? In other words, the water will push the air, not vice versa.

Air could enter the system only if you lost water pressure entirely, due to a pressure loss of the water service.

Don't waste effort or expense on that account, unless air is being introduced by the municipal water source or your own well. Which, apparently, it's not, because if it was, you would likely have the problem year-round, and you would notice bursts of air blasting out of the house faucets.

thank you greg c and r designs for you advise. i will look into the water hammer and see what happens, thanks again.

I have to agree the sprinkers wouldn't introduce air. It's probably how and where you plumbed in for the water supply to the springler system.