+ Reply to Thread

Default New ground for service panel?

I have been trying to find my house grounding electrode to bond my TV antenna to it. It is not on the external electric meter so I checked in the crawlspace under my service panel. The ground is grounded under the panel to a galvanized water pipe, however, the main water line from the meter into the crawl space is PVC pipe. The metal water pipe is not in contact with the ground. I know I need the ground to be grounded by an electrode, either a 8' x 5/8" rod or by grounding plates. My question is can this be done inside the crawl space (probably with grounding plates) or is it better to run the ground wire to the outside (appox. 10 - 15 feet from panel) and grounded with a ground rod? I have read the the grounding electrode conductor should be as straight and short as possible, but also the the soil under the house may be too dry to provide a low resistance to ground.

Default Re: New ground for service panel?

Put a ground rod outside, make sure the wire between it and the panel is not spliced.

You situation often happens in older homes, originally the water pipe was used as ground but part has been replaced with PVC and now is unsuitable as a ground.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: New ground for service panel?

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Put a ground rod outside, make sure the wire between it and the panel is not spliced.

You situation often happens in older homes, originally the water pipe was used as ground but part has been replaced with PVC and now is unsuitable as a ground.
    Jack
    Right you are JLM. Most inspectors require grounding as near to the water meter as possible.
    I sound like Al Micheals of MNF with that reply.
    It should be something a home inspector should be able to catch, as wise of a sage as they are.
    {Of course, if one where present, that is**.